Can I print a solid, interesting, and decent quality large scale ornament suitable for outdoor use during the holidays?
I used an ornament design that was provided with built in supports, which made sense for the complex geometry. I scaled up the print to 175% of original, with a final print size of 148mm x 147mm x 122.5mm.
The print is a little rough – the pre-fit supports weren’t designed for a print at 175% scale, so there is some drooping filament, and the attachment points for the supports don’t separate cleanly. But it’s still clean enough when viewed at a distance, and will fit (scale wise) with other outdoor ornaments we have.
- Maker: laurentine
- Source: Five Intersecting Tetrahedra
- License: Creative Commons – Attribution – Share Alike
- Model: fit_with_supports.stl
- GCode: –
- Materials: Prusa White PLA 1.75mm
- Scaling: 175% Original Scale
- Print Date: 2017/12/8
- Print Time: 13 hours 20 minutes
- Estimated Print Time: 12 hours 49 minutes
- Estimated Filament: 57.5 meters
- Slicer: Slic3r
- Slicer Settings:
- 0.35mm layers
- 5% infill
- no supports (pre-modeled supports)
- no brim
- Printer: Prusa i3 mk2