Wood-fill Jam and 0.4mm Drill Bits

I was experimenting with Hatchbox Wood-fill PLA, printing up some dungeon accessories, when an unfortunate thing happened. The wood fill cooled in the extruder, over heated with a small backup at the nozzle, and BAM- fully jammed hotend. The Prusa i3 ships with a small packet containing two acupuncture needles, which are the ideal size for clearing…

Print Fail – Bed Thermal Runaway

Half way through printing a series of pieces for a Cosplay prop, I was greeted by this: I tried restarting the print for the model I was using, and it automatically stopped with the same error twice more, each time about 5 minutes into the print. The Prusa Support site has a section on thermal runaway, and various…

Print Fail – Trapped TPE Filament

I picked up a small roll (0.5kg) of a translucent blue TPE flex filament to try out, and started with a dead simple rectangle as the sample print. Probably wise that I started with something small: Fairly certain that’s not where the filament is supposed to go. Clipping the loose filament, and opening up the pressure latch for…

Cleaning a Glue Covered PEI Bed

After the seven PETG prints and one PLA print for the Deck Builder the print bed on the Prusa i3 is completely covered in glue residue. A thin layer of glue (I’ve liked using a simple glue stick so far) is a simple way to provide more adhesion for the first layer of a print, but…